A few weeks before Finley was born, we bought her cradle from a neighbor at a yard sale. His wife died a couple of years ago and his kids (grown, with grown kids of their own) were helping him clear things out.
If only I could have looked around in this man’s attic or garage before all the sales…who knows what treasures he had!
A few weeks ago I drove by as they had yet another yard sale, and this old doll bed caught my eye. It was pretty dirty, a little banged up, and one rail is warped, probably from sitting in the heat all these years. The woman who sold it to me (his daughter) was probably around my mom’s age or a little younger, and this doll bed used to be hers.
There were also stickers all over both sides (another very obvious tell that it was vintage) that weren’t going to be peeled off easily.
I bought it from her for $4, took it home and got to work (about 3 weeks later).
I cleaned it up using Clorox wipes (about 6 of them) and then I used some leftover paint we had from Finley’s nursery! In keeping with that theme and since the doll bed would be going in her room, I decided to use some leftover wallpaper from that project as well.
The cutest flamingo wallpaper is from Milton & King!
You can find her full nursery update in this blog post!
I JUST threw away my wallpaper glue (of course) so I used mod podge to adhere the wallpaper to the doll bed (and cut myself only once with the razor blade) and it worked really well. A bonus (to me) is that the mod podge gave it a nice shine!
The platform that sits on the bottom of the doll bed was VERY weak and just barely fit in there. Every time I moved the doll bed it would fall right through. SO I just painted that as well and made sure to add plenty of additional paint to the seams. At this point it seems like it’s made a really good glue, because it hasn’t fallen out once!
Leave a Reply