Are you looking to add another member to your family? Not sure which breed will work best for you? Here are ten reasons why I think you should adopt a doodle!
I have grown up around dogs my entire life. Mostly small breeds but we had a Golden Retriever for a while as well and I’ve known and loved all manner of canines. My parents had Yorkies for a while and they are also wonderful dogs, but when my husband and I got pregnant with my son we decided to try out a bigger breed. I found out I was pregnant in February and we brought our first son (Niko the Doodle) home in May. You may be saying ‘She is CRAZY!’ Getting a puppy when you’re pregnant is no easy task. For a while it really felt like I was just practicing for the toddler stage. Early mornings, potty breaks all night, and endlessly picking up toys. But I can say without a shadow of a doubt that Niko is the best dog I have EVER had. Here’s why…
- No shedding! Depending on the generation you end up with (for example, Niko’s mom was a Golden and his dad was a poodle so he is a first generation) they just don’t shed. I’ll occasionally get hair in the brush after I brush him but that’s the extent of it. Our Roomba picks up my hair more than any dog hair in this house. This makes him fairly hypoallergenic so if you have a family member with allergies, this breed is a great option.
2. Goldendoodles tend to be very clever dogs. I’ll admit, sometimes my dog can act like a goober and not make the wisest decisions (look before you start to bound off in the opposite direction!). James didn’t want to pay to put Niko through puppy school, much to my dismay, as neither of us are very proactive dog trainers. Despite all of that he is very well behaved. He will sit on command (if he isn’t over excited), he knows how to wait, he doesn’t run off when he is off the leash, will go get in his bed when we eat without being asked, and is just generally a really good dog.
3. Doodles are very cuddly! The slightly teddy bear appearance is not just a front. Our doodle loves to cuddle up with us in the bed at night. He and my husband are often caught passed out and spooning (he IS pretty much the same length as my husband when stretched out). We always joke that he has no bones because despite his massive size, he is rather floppy.
4. They are wonderful with children. Every doodle I have met hasn’t had a mean bone in their (boneless) noodle bodies. I’m sure it helps that we had a baby when Niko was still a baby himself and he has had to adapt, but my son loves to crawl back and forth over Niko while Niko lays on the floor chewing a bone. I’m not even sure he really notices. He makes sure to do his best at avoiding the baby when he is playing fetch, or running to greet my husband after work. We are teaching our son to be sweet, gentle and respectful to our dogs and in return the dogs are so great with him! Before we had our own baby, Niko would bounce around with excitement when he saw other kids. He is just the friendliest pup!!
5. They can be intimidating when they need to be. For the most part, my 65 (ish) pound “Puppy” is a total wuss. He has been known to hide behind corners when people he doesn’t know come in the house. But if I answer the door and he is by my side, he is HUGE. His bark is rather loud and can be intimidating to those who come knocking. It’s especially nice when it’s a solicitor and I don’t want to answer the door. Niko barks ‘go away!’ Going for walks with him, I always feel a little safer in general. Other dogs and people don’t like to approach big boys like him!
6. They are always up for an adventure. Niko would be content hanging out on the couch most of the day, but he LOVES getting out and exploring, playing fetch, and meeting new people. We love to take him hiking, to our local farmers market, and just out for walks. He gets so excited just to go places with us, it’s hard to leave the house without him!
7. They will make friends with every dog they meet. Most of my parents’ dogs were always crotchety old men and women. I tried to take one of them to ‘yappy hour’ at a local bar once and she was NOT thrilled about it. Niko on the other hand absolutely loves meeting new friends. I started dog sitting during the day using the app ‘Rover’ and it’s so great for him to get to spend the occasional day rolling around in the yard with the dogs that come to stay with us. He has never shown any aggression to any dog he has met. I just don’t think he has it in him!
8. They potty train fairly easily. Now this might just be my dog, but I have spoken with some other doodle owners lately and they seem to have had similar experiences. We used the crate training method and from the time we brought him home until he was completely trained he probably messed in the house 5-10 times. He learned really quickly and we never have problems at all! He will come over and put his big ole’ head in my lap when he wants to go outside. Some doodles even use the bells you hang on your doorknob with a lot of success but we never tried that.
9. Our dog knows the difference between his toys and my son’s toys. This is likely not the case with EVERY doodle out there but I attribute this to his level of intelligence. When he was a tiny puppy he had a phase where he would chew up the trim in our house if we left him out of his crate while we were away. He now goes into his crate every time we leave. Both for his safety and that of our home. Aside from that, he never chewed anything he wasn’t supposed to. He knows not to mess with the baby’s toys, and I always make sure he has a few out so he has something to play with.
10. They are SO STINKING CUTE. This last reason might be a bit shallow but I swear he is just the cutest dog I’ve ever laid eyes on. I might be biased but then I think all doodles are incredibly cute! They are fluffy, cuddly, and work the puppy dog eyes to their advantage. They are sweet, loving, gentle and smart. I’m so happy we made the decision to adopt our big boy!
*I will add that I think it is very important to adopt from a shelter whenever possible. Rescue dogs, mutts, and older dogs can also be an amazing addition to any family!